Friday 28 February 2014

New York, a little better than Berwick.


As I mentioned here in a little under 4 months I am going to be heading off to the U S of A to work at a summer school for the summer and I could not be more excited. America is one of my ultimate destinations, and somewhere I seem to be endlessly fascinated by. What you might not know is how I became so in love with this country, and how at the time It had a hard time beating my first travel love – Berwick.

Summer 1996, this little bundle of ginger was just 3 years old, proud big sister of 1 month old little sis. Together we were going on our first holiday, with mum and dad and all the new baby stuff people take of course. Now, I don’t know about you but I think they were pretty smart to pick somewhere close to home. A little caravan park in Berwick, close enough to get back if anything went wrong but still far enough for it to feel like a faraway land to little 3 year old molls. I mean this place had it all long white sand beach to build sandcastles and boats, my very own park with amazing swings, climbing frame, the works. Inside there was an exciting pool complex with water slides and plenty of space for me to bob about with my arm bands. I could ride my bike around the park all day long if I wanted and even when I road head first into a lamppost (a traumatic experience for a 3 year old, though perhaps a sign of things to come) It was quickly forgot once I’d got my hands on all the ice cream. Safe to say that those few days in a small resort, 1 hour from my home, blew my young mind and defined holidays for me for years to come.

January 2006, little miss molls had grown out of her baby face and into her stroppy teen faze. Just turning 13 and with a slightly more eclectic holiday history behind me (UK, France and Spain… I did say slightly) one holiday still reigned supreme. If you asked me where I wanted to go – ‘Berwick’, would I not like to go to Spain again - ‘Berwick.’ Yup that’s right, ten years on Berwick was still the pinnacle in my young eyes, nothing would beat the opportunity to go back to that town, walk familiar streets and relive all those perfect memories. Traveling was this scary weird concept, I knew dad had cool stories because of it but why didn’t people just like to stay put in one place, why see the world when we could see our family and friends right here on our street?!

Now of course my ideas are somewhat different. For me there is nothing better than finding yourself somewhere you’ve never been before. Whether it’s taking the side streets on your walk to work and discovering a cute little cafĂ© you didn’t know existed, to throwing it all in hopping on a plane and loosing yourself in a city you’ve only ever dreamt of. But these ideas had to start somewhere..


September 2006, dad was off on yet another business trip but this time it was different, this time I was going with him. To New York, none the less. I was terrified; I was going to New York City, that was scary – exciting – but definitely scary. Waiting to board my first long haul flight I was filled with nerves, until then I’d only flown on a small plane to the Shetland! But I kept on picturing all the sights I’d seen in movies and read about in my guide books. Once we’d landed my nerves vanished, and for a first real journey abroad it couldn’t have gotten much better. Seeing as it was a business trip we were staying in fancy hotels in the finance district, there was even a chocolate statue of liberty in the room! While dad was in all those boring meetings I became addicted to gossip girl, developed a love for bagels and watched people milling about on Battery Park from the 31st floor! In his down time we got to see all the sights (top of the rock was definitely my favourite), ate a bit too much, shopped until my little self couldn’t shop anymore and just generally loved every second of being in NYC.


In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made, oh
There's nothing you can't do, now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you, let's hear it for New York
New York, New York


Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind



It really did do just that. Even now 8 years on, when people ask me where my favourite place is I’ll say New York. When people want to know why I love to travel? Why I chose my degree? My answer is New York. Who knows where I’d be if I hadn’t had that opportunity when I was thirteen. I’m sure one way or another I’d have still developed my passion for travelling, but I still see that trip as a defining point in my life. Almost certainly without it I wouldn’t be heading off to work in America this summer. Oh, and guess what – I’m only 45 minutes away from NYC!

Have you had a defining trip in your life? Is there one place you just can’t get enough of or that you just can’t stop dreaming of exploring?



P.S. linking up with Whitney over at I Wore Yoga Pants To Work to #backthatazzup Friday ... this song  was the only choice really!






2 comments:

  1. What a great post! This was perfect for our vacation theme this week at Hump Day Happenings. Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a really small town in West Texas, so going ANYWHERE was an exotic experience for me. We stayed with my grandmother in Dallas for several weeks each summer, and I loved it. We would play outside, get really smelly and eat multiple desserts because my grandma let us! Even though Dallas isn't exactly exotic, I always looked forward to these trips.

    Thanks for sharing with Hump Day Happenings!

    ReplyDelete