Friday 21 February 2014

This story is just the beginning

So here I am, with my brand new blog and my eager beaver self, ready to get started. But what do you want to know. What I had for breakfast? Where my ultimate holiday would be? What my favourite colour is? Or maybe you want to know why I started this here blog? And that girls and boys is what I'm gonna answer.

Now we all know that a good story starts at the beginning and has a middle and an end, which is inevitably followed by the beginning of the next story and so on and so forth. This story though, starts at the end of the tale before, and well, as you'll see I'm not quite sure if we've made it beyond the start of the next one let alone to the fairy tale ending anytime soon. 

Let’s start at the end shall we. 

Results day bubbly with the dad

Once upon a time, May 2012 to be precise. There lived a hardworking 19 year old molly. She’d worked her butt off for 3 years to overcome naysayers and was, at last, graduating college. Fancy International Baccalaureate diploma in hand she confirmed her place at a top red brick university and I was ready to take on the world. That summer she spent a month backpacking Germany with her best friends and exploring bits of Eastern Europe. Life was decidedly rosy.

Obligatory Berlin bear with the besties.

When September hit she began her dream degree in American History and Literature and carried on following that good old guidebook to life, the one that’s so often preached at you in school. You know the one, follow High School road to University Avenue, after 3 years carry straight on over to Career Highway, optional detours to Wedding Town and Baby Boulevard allowed. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I have no issue with people who choose those things and follow that path. In fact for years that was my goal in life, to follow that yellow brick road and live a regular happy sparkly life.

But as you've probably guessed, that isn't quite how things went down. By December little miss molly had realized she did not want to be at that university (a story for a different day) and by February was back living at home, although not quite ready to give up on following the traditional path. She signed up for a new course. Primary Education in fact, right here in Newcastle and got ready, once again, to begin the rest of her life. Once again it was not to be she found myself struggling and took yet another break.

Now a year on since she first walked away from uni and 2 months on from the most recent detour she's found herself re-evaluating what  she really want from life. At 21 she was stepping off the map and exploring what was really around her for the first time. She happy to be looking for her happily ever beginning.


The End.. and The Beginning.


So there you have it. I have 10 months left to decide if university is for me, 10 months to travel, explore, and see the world. I don’t expect to have chosen a career in these 10 months or have got myself back on track. I’m using them to figure out where I want to be, to reroute the map, rewrite the guide book and smell as many roses as possible along the way. Gosh darn that was a lot of clichés and I've got one more for you. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said ‘Life is a journey, not a destination.'  (oops still an American literature nerd)

No comments:

Post a Comment