Wednesday 16 April 2014

What's my age again?

Work worries surrounded by the craft chaos...
Age is a funny thing. We spend our childhood desperately wanting to be a grown up, to sit at the adult table, not be told what to do. I didn't know the specifics of what I wanted, I just knew that life as 'one of them' would be so much better than my awkward teenage years. Now that I think I'm almost getting there, well I have friends nearer to 30 than 13 and I spend a lot of time with my mum and boss who are in their 50's and 60's I have realized that adults spend time wishing as well. They don't wish to be older though, they spend their time reminiscing on their youth. 'Back in the good old days' Its a bit of a joke in our house, whenever mums struggling with something technological but it's true. Over lunch the other day they were talking about childhood friends they remembered from school, the games they would play, adventures they went on. How much easier it was at that age. It isn't that they want to be a child again, but as an adult with responsibilities they miss some of the easy things we see as burdens when we are children. 

What happens when you're in the middle though. You no longer long to be an adult, yet you don't quite look back in happy memory at your childhood. What happens when the age you look, the age you behave, the responsibilities you have and your age you are don't quite match up.

Age is a tool we all use to judge others. Wise old man. Silly young girl. She's only 18 she's a bit naive. We've all done it, we all do it. But why should age be a factor when meeting people. Does age effect our intellect, our passion, our commitment, our responsibility. Yes with age can come knowledge, but I know plenty of 17 year olds that could hold their own in many a debate against others in their 60's.

I'm 21. I've been volunteering for the same organisation since I was 15, working for them since I was 18. Elsewhere I've taken part in leadership courses, was a founding member of our cities youth council and at 17 was running workshops in primary schools. In those 6 years I have learnt more about myself, about business and about working for organisations and with children than I could ever of dreamed of. To put it bluntly I know my shit. I don't know everything, heck I barely know anything but when it comes to my job I can really hold my own. 

Feeling sick of being known as "the little'un" at work, and being referred to, albeit with know bad intentions, as the baby of the building I found myself venting to a couple of friends over coffee, their responses baffled me slightly though. Their suggestion was that of course I wasn't being taken seriously by other people at work because I dressed like the kids I work with. Now, all I really heard there was "Molly you should change the way you look in an effort to make people listen to whats already inside you!" Something I not only disagree with but have adamantly recommended people not to do. I'm young, and can easily pass as one of my volunteers on some days but that doesn't effect whats in my head and the skills I possess. If I was to wear a pencil skirt and shirt, or a suit, would I suddenly become more responsible, better at my job? To be honest, that would probably negatively effect my work as I spend my days painting, and building and crawling around rehearsal spaces. 


So, here is my question. Should age matter, and even if it does, should we change our appearance to fit in and look the 'typical' responsible adult? Does our skills and personality define us, or is it merely our age and look?

No comments:

Post a Comment